Grand Rounds is a Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences Continuing Medical Education program, which consists of a series of educational lectures. Speakers at the Grand Rounds include both Department faculty and speakers from other institutions around the country. All Grand Rounds lectures are open to the public. To view the current schedules for each site, click on the links below.The main Department Grand Rounds is held at Harborview Medical Center. Starting in Autumn 2009 these lectures will be streaming live.
Grand Rounds lectures at the University of Washington Medical Center and Harborview Medical Center are recorded and posted on this site. Click here to view past Grand Rounds.
Harborview Medical Center
CME Director and Grand Rounds Co-Director: Sharon Romm, MD
Grand Rounds Co-Director: Ryan Kimmel, MD
Department Grand Round Coordinator: Stephanie A. Guerrero
Harborview Site Coordinator: Susan Taubeneck
Location: Research and Training Building, Room 109
Each of these lectures provides one Category I CME credit. CME Credit is offered at the following satellite locations. Please see locations below or contact these coordinators for room locations at the individual sites.
Let us know if you would like to receive email notifications for upcoming HMC Grand Rounds lectures.
University of Washington Medical Center
Location: Health Sciences Building, Room BB1640
Site Coordinator: Megan Schade
VA Puget Sound Health Care System - Seattle
Site Coordinator: Kate Alvey
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Location: Thomas Building, Room D3-120
Site Coordinator: Karen Syrjala, PhD
Western State Hospital
Location: Hamilton Conference Room in the Center for Forensic Sciences
Site Coordinator: Jennifer Jepsen
Grand Rounds 2011-2012, 2010-2011 Academic Years:
Grand Rounds 2009-2010 Academic Year:
- Gratitude, Envy and the Depressive Position in Psychoanalysis. A case presentation by Catherine Howe
Michael Horne, MD and R4 Residents. June 18, 2010.
- What Every Psychiatric Clinician Should Know About Bereavement
Sidney Zisook, MD. June 4, 2010.
- It's not just a tremor: Behavioral and Cognitive Complications of Parkinson's Disease
James Leverenz, MD. May 21, 2010.
- Incubation of Drug Craving: Behavioral and Neuronal Mechanisms
Yavin Shaham, PhD. May 7, 2010.
- Update on Hepatitis C
John Scott, MD, MSc. April 16, 2010.
- Research Advances in Treating Adolescents with Co-Occuring Disorders
Paula Riggs, MD. April 2, 2010.
- Traqnsference Focused Psychotherapy: Overview and Update
Otto Kernberg, MD, FAPA. March 19, 2010. Slides
- Psychiatry and Spiritual Care - Bringing About Integration
David Harrison, MD, PhD. March 5, 2010.
- The CNS Endocannabinoid System and Its Clinical Implications
David Gorelick, MD, PhD. March 1, 2010.
- Fragile X Syndrome and Autism: Shared Behaviors, Distinct Etiology
Sara Jane Webb, PhD. February 5, 2010.
- Modernizing Health Care: Federal Perspectives on the Role of Psychiatry
Kenneth Thompson, MD. January 15, 2010.
- On the Hazards of Technologized Infancy
Dimitri Christakis, MD. January 8, 2010.
- Adolescents and Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders - What Do We Know and What Do We Need?
Gary Stobbe, MD. December 18, 2009.
- Neurology for Psychiatrists
Andrew Rose-Innes, MD. December 4, 2009.
- Surviving Cancer
Karen Syrjala, PhD. November 20, 2009.
- Coupling Value to Actions: Dopamine and Decision Making
Paul Phillips, PhD. November 6, 2009
- Deep Brain Stimulation for Treatment-Resistant Depression
Paul Holtzheimer, MD. October 9, 2009.
- Comfortably Numb? Rape, PTSD, and Alcohol Use
Debra Kaysen, PhD. October 2, 2009.
- Non-Visual Ocular Photoreceptor and the Circadian Clock
Russell Van Gelder, MD. September 18, 2009.
- Alzheimer's Disease Risk Factors and Prevention
Gail Li, MD, PhD. September 4, 2009.
Grand Rounds 2008-2009 Academic Year:
- Cognitive Dysfunction in Multiple Sclerosis - Evaluation and Management
Gary Stobbe, MD. June 5, 2009.
- Towards Developing Evidence-Based and Culturally Competent Care
Steven Lopez, PhD. May 29, 2009.
- Comfortably Numb? Rape, PTSD, and Alcohol Use
Debra Kaysen, PhD. May 15, 2009.
- Recent Advances in Treating Insomnia in Older Adults
Michael V. Vitiello, PhD. May 1, 2009. Handout Slides
- Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness (CATIE) Findings and the Alzheimer's Disease Treatment Conundrum
David Sultzer, MD. April 24, 2009.
- The Hypothesis of the Primacy of Mania
Athanasios Koukopoulos, MD. April 3, 2009.
- The Effects of Infant TV on Attentional Capacity and Language Development
Dimitri Christakis, MD. March 20, 2009.
- Updates on the Genetics of Schizophrenia
Debby Tsuang, MD. March 6, 2009.
- What Cancer Survivor's Need: A Science and Practice Update
Karen Syrjala, PhD. February 20, 2009.
- Genetics of Dyslexia
Zoran Brkanac, MD. February 6, 2009.
- The Unwelcome Intruder: The Story of Freud's Cancer
Sharon Romm, MD. January 16, 2009.
- PTSD in Primary Care: VA Perspective
Bradford Felker, MD. December 5, 2008. Slides
- The Neurobiology of Gender Differences
Peggy Nopoulos, MD. November 21, 2008.
- Opiods for Chronic Pain: Trends and Risks
Mark Sullivan, MD, PhD. November 7, 2008.
- Marriage, Health and Mental Health: How to Improve Them
Richard Stuart, DSW. October 3, 2008.
- Developing and Implementing Early Interventions for PTSD and Related Co-Morbidities in Real World Settings
Douglas Zatzick, MD. September 12, 2008.
- Seasonal and Circadian Aspects of Mood Disorders
David Avery, MD. September 5, 2008.